9 January 2018 –
Today the CUC has launched a public consultation on a draft remuneration code for the higher education sector. Contributions are welcome from anyone with an interest in UK HE.
The consultation closes on Monday, 12 March 2018. For more information and to submit a response, please click here.
30 November 2017 –
The CUC has produced three new Illustrative Practice Notes (IPNs). These are Recruiting a Vice-Chancellor, Governing Body Responsibility for Recruiting a Chair, and The role of the Nominations Committee. These publications build upon the CUC’s four existing IPNs and take into account the CUC HE Code of Governance throughout.
You may also be interested in the document Managing the Chair/Vice-Chancellor Relationship, published today by the Leadership Foundation.
10 October 2017 –
The Committee of Scottish Chairs have produced their 2017 edition of the Scottish Code of Good Higher Education Governance following consultations with an expert steering group, over a year long period. The Code falls in line with the HE sector’s commitment to continuous enhancement and includes new and progressive elements. The SCS has noted that key changes in the Code are:
- new requirements on the membership of remuneration committees, such that no category of governing body member should be excluded from membership;
- a new requirement to seek views on senior remuneration from representatives of staff and students;
- new guidance on the kinds of evidence that remuneration committees should consider;
- a new section on equality and diversity;
- a requirement for an annual public meeting at which the Principal and members of the governing body should give an account of the institution’s performance and be available to answer questions;
- changes to ensure consistency with the Higher Education Governance (Scotland) Act 2016