Committee of University Chairs
About the CUC
The CUC is the representative body for the Chairs of UK universities. It is a non-profit making body which delivers education, learning and development opportunities to its members by providing educational events and a peer-support network which promotes high standards in university governance.
The education, learning and development programme of the CUC includes:
- Delivering bi-annual conferences the purpose of which is to enhance the knowledge and skills of members:
- Providing information, guidance and training on best practice in the Governance of higher education in the United Kingdom;
- Supporting and developing Chairs (and their governing bodies) and enabling them to fulfil their responsibilities at the highest level;
- Providing a source of peer-to-peer support for Chairs;
- Encouraging collaboration between Chairs where possible and desirable;
- Informing Chairs of developments affecting higher education;
- Facilitating discussions between Chairs on key issues affecting HEIs to enhance understanding and improve effectiveness;
- Promoting effective stewardship of HEIs, ensuring proper and effective use of stakeholder funds;
- Explaining the importance of accountability to stakeholders and society;
- Liaising with other bodies on issues arising from the core concerns of governing bodies to develop its programme of education, learning and development;
- Engaging with other bodies to advance the interests of UK higher education in collaboration with Universities UK, which represents vice-chancellors.
Chris Sayers, Chair of CUC